Friday, December 18, 2015

Aldona of Bardez, Goa - Sleepy and Peaceful.



Aldona aerial view.
You think a village holiday is fine for 2-3 days. Nothing to do! 
Then life explodes around you and you discover you can actually simply sit and watch the waters ripple by for hours and ... 3 days are not enough!! is what you discover. 
This is what I discovered in this serene village called ALDONA OF BARDEZ, GOA

Village life has its own serenity. Instead of a chatter filled mind asking 'what next?', you gently sink into a state where all that exists is the present moment. Every nerve and fibre relaxes!

So what does one 'do' in a sleepy village except sleep and eat? 
There's lots as I discovered!
Walk around the village! The roads are good and the people very friendly. 



The street of Aldona

As you walk, you discover....

THE CHURCH
St. Thomas Church - 

Attend the Sunday mass at the church. 
The priest was really good and his sermon made a lot of practical sense to me. 
End of the mass he was seen strutting around in his jeans and T shirt! 
My favourite part of the mass though was Antonio (the hosts' son) watching over my mannerisms throughout:
"I think you should keep your camera inside."
"Kneel...you are sitting."
"Now stand...now sit...now stay quiet."

Disciplined by a 9 year old!

End of mass 
   
From the balcony

The church is beautiful to look at!


St. Thomas church with the panchayat building in yellow
Right next to the church is the cemetery with an inscription:


"Today me, Tomorrow you"...very apt I would say!

Cemetery entrance

Beautiful angels!



THE MARKET


She called out to me, "Come and buy".
I said, "I am a vegetarian".
She laughed out loud!

Come and buy!
  
Fishes at sale
Fruits are available too!


THE TEMPLE

I chanced upon the temple as I was walking and trying to escape the barking stray dogs (keep a stick with you always!). 
I discovered it right in the morning when the priest was beginning the day. 
Sateri Devi is a form of Parvati, the consort of Shiva. 
The temple had a quiet and calm vibe and welcomed me to simply sit and absorb. 



Temple entrance

Temple

"You can click my picture", said he.
"Not mine", said his wife!

Priest at work 6 am

Just behind the temple you get a beautiful glimpse and some space to be with the backwaters. 
I was absorbing the scene when I heard a rumble and turned around. 

I saw this!


Behind the temple

Behind the temple

Behind the temple


THE FIELDS
The paddy fields come alive during the monsoon. 
But you can take a walk to them even otherwise and watch the workers ... well at work!
The hostess explained the way, "walk to the 'gaudy' house and turn right...then right from the mast...then down from the aged home". Not bad...I reached safely!

The fields

The fields-Perfect posture!

The fields

The fields

BACKWATERS OF ALDONA
Finally, purposefully in the end, I come to the lifeline and the mainstay of the village. 
The backwaters. 
Where all you can do is sit by and read or be quiet. 
Or get into the speed boat. 
Up to you...the pictures speak for themselves! I have no words to describe the experience. 
As I sift through them to choose the ones to upload, the serenity returns...

The backwaters

Fishing!

Abandoned boats

The charter

Serenity

Note:
  1. My stay in Aldona was in Cancio's house.
  2. You need to be a good walker or rider to get the best of the village. Depending on cabs is expensive. 
  3. Buses ply to Mapusa and other towns. 
  4. If you are wondering what to do around Aldona, CLICK HERE!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks yaar!!! Nice collection, Good to see the beach, bridge, Zoo, Gardens of Sydney
Really there is a lot to enjoy and experience in Goa. It was very good collection of Goa’s Temples, churches, markets and beaches. Thanks for sharing
Accommodation in goa | Book Villas in Goa

Monica Kochar said...

Thank you!

Monica Kochar said...

Thank you!

Unknown said...

your photos reminds me my last visit of Goa in October 2017..all are mesmerizing..longing to visit Aldona,Goa....soon