Friday, December 18, 2015

My Homestay in Aldona, Goa

My stay in Aldona, Goa was at a homestay called Cancio's House.

I have stayed in homestays before. This one stands out from all.
I feel there are homestays and then there are stay-at-home stays. Cancio's house is the latter. The way they embrace you within their heart and make you feel one of the family!

THE SPACE
The house is a beautiful Portuguese building. It was 1 of the 1st houses built in Aldona, roughly 500 years ago. Finally restored by Maria and Antonio Amaral in 1973.


The entrance

Most of the furniture is antique with the owners not interested in knowing their current value! It is rift with the warmth that only a home filled with generations of laughter has.

I felt 'at home'.

Peaceful. Serene. Beautiful.

Part of my room

The 'breadman'!

Way to my room

Verandah where you can spend the whole day!

View from my room

The garden

The homestay side

THE PEOPLE
A 'home' stay is incomplete without the family that makes it a true home.
The people and pets of Cancio's house make it a home for you.
Simple, unpretentious, chatty yet discreet, with them I felt my defenses chip away with each meal and I was taken to the 'open hearted and trusting' Monica I missed in Delhi.

Dinner with the whole family!
The person I met 1st was Maria Amaral, the 83 years old owner of the house.
She was an English teacher full of stories of her times. She still packs in a full days work helping the poor, embroidering and looking after the home!
Here she is, buying fresh bread from Xavier for my dinner!
Dynamic conversations in one of the best dictions is what I will always remember her for!

Maria getting bread from the bread man

At her fav spot in the house

Chatting with Nolee, the 73 years old maid!


 Roberto and Raquel Amaral run the homestay. Roberto is like a whirlwind moving from 1 task to the other brimming with ideas on what I can do around Aldona.
Raquel is the calm one, and ... for the foodie in me ... a gifted cook! 
She rustled up dishes for the vegan me and also fed me enough Goan vegan desserts to remember for ever! 

Husband and wife team

At her favourite spot- the stove!

This kids!
Antonio and Harrison are older. 
My way with kids is to let them be. They are sensitive and intelligent. If they trust me, they would come. The ice broke with Antonio asking me, "which pokemon do you like?". 
And then the conversations flowed...

Antonio on left and Harrison on right

But my other favourite in the home (apart from Maria) was the youngest...Rafael! 
The happiest kid around, strutting around in the mud, rarely seeking attention. 
Loves playing with water so much that he washes anything in sight!



Always busy!

The dogs...
If Doughnut runs to the gate when you reach there, don't think he is welcoming you! He is only running out for 'that little break in the discipline'! 
Rest of the day she lounges from place to place around the house, snoring heavily. 

Doughnut

Jess is the quietest and most loving one ever seen. She only loves and kisses! Apart from sunning herself of course!

Jess
Love is the USP of this home...love for the property, the people, the pets, the village and all the guests that keep coming back for more!!

Note:

  1. This is not a homestay with room service. Meals are in the main dining hall. The timings are menu is very adaptable though. 
  2. The family is quite warm and chatty. Be prepared for it! :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This post was very good, I enjoyed reading this post. Keep up the great work
Car rental in Goa
| Car on rent in Goa

Monica Kochar said...

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it,
For best accommodation experience stay at Homestay in goa.

Monica Kochar said...

Thank you. I enjoyed staying there.